Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Full of Grace

So, so much to be thankful for this past weekend.

Friday night Martha and I went to Beaner’s college to see her inducted in the national Criminal Justice Honor Society.  A very proud parental moment.

The keynote speaker was introduced as a former judge, now a deacon in the Catholic Church.  (Beaner’s college was formally run by Catholic monks.  It is no longer, but there is still a heavy Catholic influence there)  His theme was “always to the right thing” and he started talking about same-sex relationships.  Martha and I held our breath.  But it turns out that he was the New York State judge who first allowed a same-sex adoption and his ruling stood up to challenges and became law.  He talked about how he knew it would hurt him in his religious community and in his run for re-election.  But he knew it was the right thing to do.   Oh yes, I shook that man’s hand afterward and thanked him.  For all of us.

Peachie and her BF drove 5 hours to try to get there for the ceremony, but were late.  They showed up at the restaurant we took Beaner to and surprised her speechless.  A perfect moment.

Saturday was Beaner’s last dance recital.  She has danced since she was 3 and joined this dance company at college.  They give recitals twice a year, all proceeds going to children’s cancer research.   So blessed to have healthy, vibrant kids who give back to those who aren’t as fortunate.

Beaner’s best friend (and my daughter from another mother) drove 4 hours from her school to surprise Beaner and be at her last dance.   

Afterwards we, and a few of Beaner’s housemates, all went out to eat and I just sat back and watched my daughters and their friends laughing and joking and just being awesome.  It is a wonderful thing when you can look at your kids and see that they are loved, are full of joy,  and what fine people they have grown into.   I had this vague look into the future knowing that they will be all right.

And then there was Beaner’s text message afterward - I feel very blessed and I have you and mommy to thank for that.  I love you both very much.  



I feel very blessed and have so many people to thank for that.  And I love them all very much.











9 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your daughter on ALL her accomplishments.

    I see she has inherited your beautiful attitude of gratitude. Besides love, it is probably the greatest gift we can give to our children. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Mom! What a beautiful reflection of the love and compassion she has received.

    And, I love how supportive your daughters are of each other. I'm sure they squabbled as children, but the way they are there for each other really shines. That will last forever.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange because my daughters are SO different - think Snookie and Audrey Hepburn. Yet they would walk through fire for each other and are constantly putting up FaceBook things about how their sisters are their best friends. I am always telling them not to let anything happen to that relationship or I will haunt them from beyond.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!! All around. When a path is forged for our children, they will more often than not, take it and even expand beyond.

    Triple coolness. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an amazing thing to watch them "expand beyond."

      So much love and pride there.

      Delete
  4. what a joy to read. i know the feeling. pure joy.

    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pure joy. Yep, that describes it!

      Delete
    2. I sometimes feel guilty writing about how proud I am of my daughter. Some have sent my emails saying, "Does Liv EVER act like a little bitch?" Well, of course she does. But, yes...it's those times when my throat closes with joy that make my fingers on the key pad move. Your daughter sounds grand.

      Delete