Sunday, March 14, 2010

Love in the Time of Cholera

I have been sick. Started with a sore throat that quickly went to my chest. For over a week I have been coughing. A horrible, deep, painful, persistent cough. I have gotten very little sleep and have had no energy. Zip. No batteries whatsoever. And then Martha got it too. For the last week she has been sleeping in the living room, upright in a recliner. Being she also has asthma, it is the only way she can breathe.

On Thursday night we went to see the Billy Joel/Elton John concert. Our daughters had given us tickets for Mother’s Day last year. The concert had been postponed twice and we really didn’t want to miss it. It had been a long time since we had been out for a special evening. So we went armed with our cough drops, water and tissues. The music drowned out our constant hacking. Great concert though.

And then last night both our daughters had plans for the evening and they were sleeping at friends’ houses. It seems that all the kids usually hang out at our house. But we were about to have the house to ourselves. Alone. Martha and I live for nights like that. We have a small house and it is hard to find intimate moments when the girls are home.

And so there we were, alone, wheezing and sniffling. We cuddled up on the couch, wrapped in blankets. Trying for some romance, I got up and made some strawberries with whipped cream and poured NyQuil into wine glasses. We toasted to our future better health. Then we started to fall asleep on each other’s shoulders. I went to bed. She went to her chair. It was 7:55.

*sigh*

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're both sick but this was such a sweet and yes, romantic post. Please take care of yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I hope you two start to feel better soon! Take care of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, :( I hope you both feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor babies!

    Hope you are feeling better soon and that you get more opportunities for that alone time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you, again, for painting a beautifully tangible picture of love.

    feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Nyquil in the wine glasses! So prosaic and sweet at the same time.

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you feel better by now. I guess if you got to be sick, it is nice to be sick with someone than all by yourself. :-) I am also so envious of the Billy Joel/Elton John concert. What a great Mother's Day gift for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you two were so sick, but this post had me smiling from ear to ear. Love the nyquil toast!

    ReplyDelete