Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Dem Bones, Dem Bones


Seven years ago, after a bilateral mastectomy, I started a ten year oral chemo regimen to kill all the estrogen in my body. This is supposed to significantly reduce my chances of a cancer recurrence. Unfortunately, it also greatly increases the rate of bone loss.

In the first year I lost over 10% density in my lumbar spine, 6% in my left hip and the femoral neck T score was went from -.9 to - 1.3 In the subsequent years I was consistently losing at 3% to 4% and had gone from healthy to osteopenia to bordering osteoporosis scores.

All of this freaked me out because I really think bones are important so I started a program for healthier bones - calcium, Vitamin D supplements and lots and lots of time in the gym doing lifting weights. And I am pleased to report that it is finally paying off and density scores are headed in a positive direction.

Lumbar spine +3.5%

Left hip + 1.3 %

Left femoral neck T-score -1.0

However, even with the improvement the left femoral neck was at the absolute lowest limit of normal so I texted Peachie, my exercise science daughter,



Well, it looks like squats (and new pants) are in my future.



12 comments:

  1. You made me laugh out loud. Thank you. I especially loved your daughter's reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need to laugh a little these days.

      Delete
  2. Go Peachy! Also, congratulations on taking on bone health so assertively. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I didn't really think that kind of improvement was possible at my age so now I am motivated.

      Delete
  3. Oh good golly, I love your daughter! This made me lol and I'm still laughing! Keep squatting, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I racked up my knee so squats are put on hold for awhile, Of course.

      Delete
  4. I have osteopenia in my thigh also - guess squats are the way to go. Ugh. But I'm glad most of your numbers are in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have enough of a battle for this year. Squats can wait. But good to know the numbers can be reversed.

      Delete
  5. Glad you weren't going to do neck squats... Would have provided entertainment in the gym... Ask her about collagen peptides - I put a heaping scoop in my coffee in the morning and it has done wonders for my shoulder - even still playing tennis...

    Congrats on both weddings! I hope they are at least a few months apart. We are just recouping from the one we had. Of course the air conditioner went out two days before - so that is next...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out the collagen, thanks.

      I don't know yet when wedding #2 will be but wouldn't mind them being close together - like ripping off the bandaid. Just get it done.

      Out furnace died today. Always something : )

      Delete