Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Full of Grace

As I write this it is minus 10 degrees outside with a minus 42 degree wind chill.  The wind is gusting and blowing the powdery snow into white-out conditions.  It is pretty easy to feel gratitude for the simple things:


  • Having a home and a working furnace.  


  • Being cozy warm in bed with flannel sheets and a down comforter.


  • Snuggling with Martha and planning a summer beach vacation.  Just looking at the pictures makes me giddy with anticipation.


  • The smell of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.


  • Seedlings that are already starting to sprout in the basement getting me very excited about spring.


seed;ings.jpg



8 comments:

  1. In the midst of "record lows" spring feels so far away. That said, it is just around the corner. Thanks for the seedlings image. Feeling better abount the deep freeze commute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My commute is so short my car doesn't even have time to warm up.

      Delete
  2. I'm so jealous of your seedlings! We don't start ours til mid March. I shamelessly refer to them as "the babies" and they are also in our basement. We have poor natural lighting down there, so use fluorescent lights....Yours look very healthy and happy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was something on your blog that inspired me to start growing from seed. I am still learning when to start different plants. One year my marigolds were in full bloom in February. I won't start the veggies until the end of the month and I use grow lights which I found far superior to fluorescents and also help keep the soil warm.

      Delete
  3. oh those seedlings! i wonder what they are?

    yes yes to warmth and softness and melted chocolate caressed by sugar.

    xoxo
    kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all petunias. I line my deck with flowers boxes which had become quite expensive. Now I collect the seeds each year and grow everything (petunias, marigolds, tiny daisies, coleus and dianthus) in the basement under lights. This year I'm also trying to start more veggies from seed. In the cold winter months it makes me ridiculously happy to see those little living plants poke out of the dirt.

      Delete
    2. don't forget zinnias :^) the giant pink ones are the best xoxo

      Delete
  4. How to defeat winter: trays of baby plants. Good for you, 8! I love that you are saving your own seed, too.
    Still too wet (and early) to plant here, but we can at least see the ground.
    Stay warm, friend!
    Xoxox

    ReplyDelete