Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Full of Grace






Just when I think things couldn’t get much worse for this country, they do. Again and again.

I am fortunate to live in a state where my representatives all vote the way I would so I don’t have to put much energy into political lobbying. I am fortunate enough to have some modest funds to donate to sites and organizations that help those who are truly being hurt by this administration’s inhumane policies and I try to help those in need my local world. But these days it all feels woefully insignificant against this overwhelming tide of hate and constant propagation of fear.

Still believe in the power of kindness and joy as an anecdote to the ugly and so here are some of the joy filled things that made me smile and grateful this week.


  • Despite the torturous heat wave we are experiencing, my veggie garden is thriving. Our town is on water restrictions but we have a private well so I can water, with soaker hoses, to give the plants some relief.
The critters have not eaten the beans like last year


Squash and Zucchini
Tomatoes all grown from seed

  • Martha and I spent two days at the cabin removing the last set of deck boards, shoring up its foundation and putting it all back together. It was hard, hot work but the main part of the deck is now complete and should last another 20 years. Which is more than I can say about my back after this project. Still I am very grateful to be able to do such physical work at my age. I know that not everyone is so blessed.

  • Starting today I will have two daughters, two of their high school friends, two boyfriends, two bonus daughters, two dogs, and two cats at the lake for the week. Although it is often too much chaos for me, I do love that they all want to come home.

  • And the biggest joy of the week, Peachie got engaged to a man we like very much and makes her very happy. The next year of wedding planning we will be dealing with bridezilla but we are oh so grateful that she has found someone to share her life with. 


Wishing and working for freedom for everyone this holiday week.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your daughter and your garden looks beautiful. It is hard to find the good right now in the world. That trump is a soul sucker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking raised beds. Congrats to Peachie and her young man. The good part of wedding planning is that it is all concerned with beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Wishing and working for freedom for everyone this holiday week.' Thank you, friend.

    Also:
    Congrats to Peachie! I want to say 'aren't they a little young?' but ... that's just in my mind! Especially having never met them! Lol.
    Your garden looks amazing. Really nice! You are going to be super busy putting up food this summer!
    Regarding that cabin project: oh, your aching back! I know what that feels like and I hope you are resting now. And, the other cabin project - the horde of young people - I love that you appreciate how fortunate you are to have them all choose to be at your place. That's a great compliment (and a lot of work).

    Thanks for the uplifting post, my friend. It's been grim and we all need a little boost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun post! even my disabled back liked it!

    nothing like a garden and nothing like kids who want to come home and nothing like a well suited engagement. I'm with you in despairing what the heck is happening to our US of A and the world, but lately I'm thinking (hoping) this too shall pass.

    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to Peachie and you all. Squee. And the planning begins.

    Congratulations on a beautiful garden.

    Full house. Squee. Good Luck. Happy weekend.

    Thank goodness for you and folks like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately, I live in a state where people voted in the cretin in charge. So I'm in serious need of focusing on the good. And that's a good set for this week!

    ReplyDelete