Wednesday, July 25, 2018

A Day at the Beach

I grew up a few miles from the beach. My parents loved the ocean and I learned how to swim, to build sand castles, to quickly eat a frozen fudgy wudgy bar before it melted there. My mother would pack sandwiches and drinks and we would spend the entire day playing in the surf and sand. These were the days before sunscreen and nobody worried about being in the sun too long.

Occasionally my grandparents, who lived in New York City, would join us. I don’t have many memories of my grandfather as he died when I was four, but I remember seeing some photographs of them at the beach with us. My grandfather dressed in his street clothes - pants, shirt, socks and shoes, and my grandmother in her house dress, stockings and shoes and a gigantic sun hat. My parents would bring beach chairs for them and they would sit under a huge umbrella and enjoy the open air reprieve from the city, but never bathe in the sun.

Once we were teenagers we went to the beach every day, either hitching a ride or, once old enough to drive, strapping our surfboards to the top of the car. Our closest beach had 5 parking fields, each which developed their own following. Field 5 was generally for families, Field 1 for fishermen, while Field 2 was for teenagers. We would congregate there every day to surf and play beach volleyball but most importantly to work on our tans. From 9 am to 4 pm we would lay out on our towels, slathered in baby oil, and soak up the rays. Back in those days we only had transistor radios and everyone listened to the same station and the sound covered the entire beach. Every half an hour the DJ would say “roll your body” and the everyone on the beach would turn over. It would be fair to say that the main activity of my misspent youth was sun worshipping.

Over the years I have given into bringing a beach chair so I could comfortably read. I still used a towel to lay on so I could evenly tan both my front and back. Then, when the girls were babies, knowing more about the dangers of sun exposure, we bought a respectable beach umbrella to shade them from the heat of the mid-day sun and slathered them with sunscreen. I still laid out with abandon and found the feeling of the sun on my skin to be one of the most pleasurable feelings in the world.

We just returned from a beach vacation. My daughters are in their twenties and I am in my sixties. For some reason, unbeknownst to me, I can no longer tolerate too much sun like I used to. What changed? My daughters stretched out in their skimpy bikinis and I wore a one piece bathing suit with a pair of water shorts and a large brimmed sun hat I just bought for my upcoming trip to Greece. I lugged a beach chair and umbrella through the sand. But it was windy and we couldn’t keep the large beach umbrella firmly in the sand. Having just read that a woman had been impaled with a blown away umbrella made me take this very seriously. I went up to the beach shop and bought one of those small cheesy personal umbrellas that latch onto your chair. I could direct it to keep the sun off the majority of my body but wound up draping a towel over my burning knees and legs.

My daughters couldn’t hide their amusement. Or was that embarrassment? I have now officially become my grandmother.


7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post! It has been so long since I baked in the sun, I had forgotten how good that felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. I love the image of everyone on the beach turning over every half hour when the DJ said it was time. I, too, count the feel of sun on my skin as one of life's great pleasures. But now that I'm older, umbrellas, shade, and hats are my friend. Thank you for sharing this remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post.

    Amusing/embarrassing the kidlets is a time honored tradition. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And look at our skin now! So much sun damage!

    I remember those days well. My bestie, Lisa, was always trying to get me to 'lay out' in the sun. She could lie there for hours! I never could. I'd be the one in the shade, with a book, covering my skin with my beach towel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never liked the sun - too fair and I burn too easily to the point of having sun poisoning and being delirious several times in my youth when no one was watching to make sure I was sunscreened up, but I've always envied people who could lay out for hours. I am always chasing the shade, nonetheless, there is nothing, literally nothing like the breeze off the ocean and a big wide open beach with the waves and the seagulls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my God, that made me laugh out loud. I just posted something today b=about becoming my grandmother! I guess turning into our mothers/grandmothers is inevitable.

    I can't tolerate the sun the way I used to and I wish I could go back in time and NOT lay out in the sun. Still, in the early morning and late afternoon when it's less sunny, there is nothing more heavenly than lying on a beach towel in the sand with the ocean breeze blowing over you and lapsing into a coma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the baby oil days... We spent days at the pool - put zinc on when you were burnt and that was about it... We have since invested in a large square tent that is staked in the sand - but it is used by everyone. I just sit in a chair now days - I don't worry about the "flip"...

    ReplyDelete