Saturday, August 18, 2018

August Odds and Ends

August has been extremely busy with mostly good and fun times

My sister and BIL visited at the lake which is always time spent chatting and mindlessly eating. (Did we just eat an entire half gallon of ice cream in one sitting?)

Beaner took Martha and I to see the Piano Boys as our Mother’s Day present. I didn’t know the Piano Boys were actually a pianist and a phenomenal cellist. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a person play their instrument which more joy and abandon. Soul nourishing.


We went blueberry picking and filled the freezer for future pies and muffins but squirrels ate my entire orchard.  There's not a peach, apple or pear left to be seen. At least I had a couple of peaches off the tree before the plague came.

We have had extremely overcast skies recently which, we are told, are not clouds but rather the smoke from the California fires. Holy smoke! I can’t imagine what it is like on the west coast.





Thanks to one of my alma maters, the entire family congregated at Yankee stadium to enjoy an unlimited buffet, free hat and great seats on a perfectly pleasant night to watch a game. And our team actually won - something they have had difficulty doing lately.

Wedding planning going at full pace. Venue, check. Date set, check. Wedding dress, check. Peachie has been planning this since she was 5 so I don’t have to do much.

Roaming around the County Fair watching sheep shearing and cow milking. And, of course, this.






The passing of Aretha Franklin. She was the soundtrack of one of the most beautiful chapters of my life. I am enjoying all the tributes which are taking me back to that very happy place. Bittersweet.

Tomorrow Beaner and I leave for Greece. I am grateful to be able to create such memories with my oldest daughter but claustrophobic me is very anxious about the 10 and 12 hours trapped in a plane, plus feeling responsible that all plans go smoothly. I would ask that you send some travelling mercies into the universe for us.

Wow, August flew by..See you in September.



7 comments:

  1. Sending those traveling mercies into the universe for you and Beaner. I wish I could say something Greek. Oh wait, OPA! :-)

    I'm having a hard time with Aretha's passing for like so many things, she, the times, her music so intricately woven with my mother. Bitter is the sweet.

    Glad you were able to feed the squirrels. :-)

    Quite the tribute to fried dough!

    I have been listening to a lot of cello music lately. Piano Boys. Noted.

    Ta Ta for now. (planning since she was 5...sweet). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes for a fabulous trip. Concentrate on breathing from your diaphragm if the going gets tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you the best time and I love how you live your life.
    💜love kj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your odds and ends, 8. It sounds like summer is supposed to be.
    Really irked on your part about those damned squirrels! So frustrating!
    The smoke is from California, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia and it is terrible out here.
    The Queen of Soul -- I think everyone of our age has Aretha Franklin on their life's soundtrack. What a monumental talent.
    As for the dreaded plane trip: breathe, center yourself, and close your eyes. Do a head to toe relaxation as often as necessary. You can do this. Sending good juju!
    Looking forward to hearing about the trip when you get back!

    ReplyDelete

  5. Wow !!! absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad to lose Aretha - she was a powerhouse.

    I can't wait to hear the Greece travelogue. It's such an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete