Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Full of Grace

Things that made me smile this week:
(and boy is it getting harder and harder to find reasons to smile these days)


A house in my neighborhood has been a source of ill will because they never mow their lawn and it looks particularly unkempt among the adjacent manicured lawns. I remember many complaints lodged against them even when I was still working for the town. But yesterday when walking my dog I noticed these signs tacked to a few of their trees. Very well played.



Daughters and boyfriends all at the lake house to celebrate Peachie’s 25th birthday. 25??? When did that happen?


On a very chilly morning I happened to see a strange ripple in the pool. A baby chipmunk had fallen in and was doing the doggy paddle for dear life. I scooped him up in the skimmer and placed him on the lawn. The water had also been freezing and the little thing was shivering uncontrollably. I ran in the house and got a towel and he allowed me to pick him up and dry his fur and massage his little body until he had stopped trembling. I reluctantly put him back down and he ran away and disappeared down a hole.





Long time readers may remember my friend and therapist. Lauren, who died very unexpectedly after helping me recover from the darkest time of my life. Well, the other day Martha came home from school saying a man with Lauren’s last name came to the school to pick up his daughter and when she saw her she knew it had to be Lauren’s granddaughter. Martha said that she is a little copy of Lauren, with white blond hair, a huge, warm smile and those extraordinary piercing violet eyes. I don’t know why but it is making me stupid happy to know this.

13 comments:

  1. These things made me smile, too. Oh, that sweet little chipmunk face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sign. Well played indeed!
    25 in a heartbeat. Happy Birthday Peachie.
    Ahh, sweet little chipmunk.
    Lauren's granddaughter. How fabulous is that?!
    All smiles. :-)
    (and true that: harder)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous indeed. Even better, she is a twin!

      Delete
  3. I need some of those pollinator signs!!!
    So, Peachie is 25. It all goes by so fast... Happy Bday to the quarter-century kid!
    Chipmunks are just cute rats, you know that right? (I would have done the same.)
    A copy of Lauren is out there, no wonder you are happy!
    Thanks for sharing some smiles... we all need some.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I believe chipmunks are related to squirrels.

      Smiles are becoming more and more rare these days. I try to do my part : )

      Delete
  4. I need those signs for my clover yard.

    How great that you saved the sweet chipmunk. And my oldest will be 25 this year. Impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your clover lawn and I'm sure it is a lot neater than the scrubbyness that is this neighbor's yard.

      Delete
  5. I love you, 8. your heart is so good.
    the story about Lauren's granddaughter choked me up. I feel so lucky to be here with my grandkids.
    happy summer,
    come to ptown!
    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy summer to you as well and enjoy all the craziness that is PTown this time of year.

      Delete
  6. I got tears when reading about Lauren's granddaughter. I'm not sure it's stupid to be happy about a brush with someone who meant so much to you, it seems rather like divine timing, no?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am trying to hold myself back from finding out more about her. Stalking someone in elementary school is probably not recommended : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice post really ! I apperciate your blog Thanks for sharing,keep sharing more blogs.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete