Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Photographs and Memories


I had reason to pull out an old photograph the other day. It is a photo taken a few weeks after Daphne and I had been attacked and I am standing with a friend outside a house she rented, me needing a new, safe place to live. In the photo I am still battered and bruised, left foot crushed and casted, not being able to stand upright due to so many fractured ribs. I am expressionless. Hollow. My soul had been shattered.


I began exposure therapy years ago and one of my biggest concerns was that all the rehashing of those events would desensitize me so much that I would no longer remember Daphne and her pain and subsequent death. It seemed disloyal and something else I can’t find the words to describe. Not that I wanted to be constantly controlled by the emotional pain, but I also didn’t want to forget it either. I especially don't want to forget her,


It was once a very difficult photograph for me to look at. Now, although I recognize that I am the girl in the photo , I find that I am having difficulty remembering who she was. Who I was. This year, for the first time, Daphne’s birthday came and went and I didn’t remember it. For years I would go into a deep depression on that day, and all anniversaries connected to her or that day. In more recent years I would go to her grave site. This year it passed without any commemoration or even notice.


I don’t know if this is just a product of time passing that would have happened anyway, or more a result of the desensitization of exposure therapy. Do veterans lose their memory of buddies killed in battle? Do I need to be more intentional in recalling memories like I now need to be intentional when putting down my keys? I don’t know. All I know is that photos can fade and discolor very quickly if not stored and handled properly. I think the same must be true of memories.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting observations... I have dates that used to provide the same sort of triggers that now pass without a moments thought. I know they are things that have made me the person I am now, and I am sure they are tucked away in some corner of my memory (or on that faded photograph). Hopefully we do get to the point where you can reflect on where you have grown from that point - or how you handled it and realize it is all pieces of your the life you live - the good, the bad, the difficult, the easy - all of it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so painful to think of what you and Daphne endured. I feel anger and sorrow and then I recognize the vibrant and wonderful person you are and I’m grateful for knowing you.

    I wonder if Memories are as real in some way as the experiences they reflect? So many times I retrace and recall a memory over and over, mostly good ones. I have no resistance to pushing away painful moments and people, but i’ve Never had anything so traumatic and terrifying happen to me as you have. I guess i’m Glad it’s dimmed for you, even if it means forgetting Daphne’s birthday. A good heart and good life blankets the past, I think. I want to say good going, 8. You deserve everything you’ve worked so hard for.💜
    Love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened to the men who did this to you and Daphne? Do they understand that they destroyed lives that day? Do people understand that their behaviors have consequences that can last a lifetime?

    I know I didn't understand this when I was young.

    Memories do fade over time, become less painful, thankfully or I suspect we would collapse under the weight of them. I'm sorry this happened to you and Daphne. Words fail me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it is the densensitization therapy. I think, unfortunately, memories of people we love fade over time. One of my youngest brothers drowned when he was 23. I was 15 when he and his twin were born and helped raise them, and I loved him dearly. But now, 17 years after his death, I struggle to remember his voice, his laugh, even his face - and that's even with his identical twin still here. I think it just happens. Daphne is there in your heart even if you don't get depressed on her birthday any more. Those monsters can't take that from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is as likely a combination of time and the work you've done to move your life forward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not remembering Daphne's birthday isn't being disloyal to her. She's always in your heart, no matter the date on the calendar. Maybe you are being kinder to yourself now, not beating yourself up as much as you used to. Maybe the survivor guilt is lessening. Wouldn't she want you to live a happy, satisfying and productive life? I bet she would.

    ReplyDelete