Friday, August 6, 2010

Women’s Weekend

From Sunday to Wednesday the women of my family will all be coming up to our lake house for our annual get together. Me, Martha, our daughters, my mom, my sister, and her daughter. My sister loves this weekend because she doesn’t have to wear underwear or makeup or cook. This, of course, is my life all the time so it doesn’t seem as out of the ordinary to me as it does to her.

What I love is that the three generations really get to talk to each other. Not like the holiday visits where the host is always in the kitchen, and everyone else trying to help, and the conversation barely touches the surface - How ya doing?, How’s the job? Eat dessert and its time to go.

For four days we will eat fudge for breakfast (under my mother’s disapproving eye). Every morning my sister and I will take a long walk around the lake (to work off the fudge) and chat about the meaningful (and less) things in our lives. The girls will play cards and checkers with their grandmother. My daughters and my niece will take the kayaks out for hours and share their secrets together. My mom and I will sit in our adirondack chairs, sipping our afternoon tea, and talk about the mysteries of life while watching the ducks swim around the lake and neighbors wave as they sail past. Every evening we will give in, put some real clothes on, and go into town for dinner, because, of course, I do not cook. And my sister will take my girls around town to do some shopping. We will come home, and toast marshmallows under a star filled sky and then watch chic flicks - traditionally Mean Girls and at least one Audrey Hepburn movie. And my mom and I will sleep in the same bed and tuck each other in at night.

It is one of my favorite weekends of the year.

A few pictures of my hard work last week -


I am so looking forward to some relaxing time . . .

6 comments:

  1. Do you have to be related by blood to get an invite???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy for you all; wish I could join you! What a great weekend!

    Nice work on the firewood... where are the pictures with the chainsaw and muscle shirt??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What e said! Plus the work boots!

    This sounds like the most perfect weekend and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful and relaxing time.

    "because she doesn’t have to wear underwear" made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! It is unfortunate that families don't get this kind of time together anymore.

    Enjoy the time. And the fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie - Godmothers are absolutely invited. Come up and join us !

    e & greg - ladies, you know I won't post pix of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must be homesick or something...this made me cry. Tears of joy for you and your daughters that they have something so special in their lives, tears of sadness that I fear my own kids won't have anything near as wonderful with their family.

    How very cool that you all do this.

    Hope you're sipping tea right now and enjoying a wonderful chat with your mother. :)

    ReplyDelete