Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Tale of Two Churches

During my life time, I have been a member of only three churches - the church I grew up in which formed my foundation in my faith, the church I joined in my first job location whose minister and sanctuary got me through the roughest time of my life, and the church I joined when I was settled into my second career location, who then kicked me to the curb. The first two churches were United Methodist churches (UMC), the last one a Reformed Church in America. (RCA)

I have thought long and hard about the differences of these experiences. Especially in light of what direction I want/need to take in terms of a faith community. Here are some of the most striking differences. These observations don’t reflect the philosophies of the denominations (I don’t think) but only the individual churches and their leadership. It’s just in writing it down, it is easier for me to define what I will be looking for in a new faith community.

Atmosphere

UMC - a 180 year old building, open, airy and bright and opens directly onto a street and invites people in. Remains unlocked during the day (doors wide open in nice weather) so that anyone can enter and use the sanctuary.

RCA - A 50 year old building, dark, cave like sanctuary (although there were times I truly liked that). The sanctuary is an internal room in a larger building that is accessed from a parking lot. Locked at all times. Except Sunday morning.

Hiring pastors

UMC - some higher-up assigns ministers to individual churches based on the needs of the church and the strengths of the minister. Congregations have no say. Yet in all the 60 years + my mother has belonged to that church, there have been a total of 4 head ministers. All beloved.

RCA - when a pastor leaves the church an interim pastor is assigned while the congregation discerns the direction they would like to go. The congregation then begins a pastoral search. In the 15 years I belonged, there were 2 permanent pastors, 4 or 5 interim pastors and too many to remember ‘other people’ filling in. In fact, during my tenure, the position was vacant for longer than it was filled. The present pastoral search committee has been at it for over 3 ½ years and still can’t find anyone they feel is a good fit and/or is willing to serve there.

Mission statement

UMC - Our arms reach out into the community and our hands help around the world

RCA - to glorify God by bringing people to Jesus Christ in an atmosphere of love through involvement in our community of worship, education, fellowship and mission.

It has struck me the difference between reaching out into the community, an involvement in our community. The first being a call to go out and do good works, and last saying that to bring people to Jesus they have to be involved in helping this particular church.

Examples of how their mission works -

UMC - Office staff consists of women from an independent organization my mother started, to aid single mothers and abused women get back up on their feet. The church employs them to teach them basic office skills and train for permanent employment.

RCA - interim pastor fired the secretary, a month before Christmas, a single mother of two small children, after four years of service. She was told she was not capable enough and didn’t dress up to snuff. Was also told that the elders would help her find new employment. She never heard from one person from the church again. She remains unemployed.

UMC - hosts and serves at a soup kitchen every Sunday after services. They also run a food pantry from the church. They do this in conjunction with other area churches so that every day of the week is covered.

RCA - hosts a scrapbooking ministry where a woman comes to the church once a month to teach scrap booking and sells supplies.

Growth

UMC - suffered a decline in membership and financial aid a decade ago. Decided to forego all but structurally necessary church improvements and focus on service to the community. Church has now grown, especially young people. They are considering adding yet another service.

RCA - had a strong surge in growth when a dynamic, inclusive pastor was there for 4 years. But he was railroaded out and the church lost a third of its membership. I hear there are some new members joining but they do not outpace the death rate of the mostly elderly membership.


I think both churches went through periods when they were not healthy. But whereas the UMC decided to turn outward - i.e. serving those in need, the RCA church turned inward, serving themselves. In fact the current RCA interim pastor sent out a flyer stating that there would be “a new emphasis on creating a healthy church before we worry about the world, meaning we are ready to pour funds into creating an updated facility.” The updated facility means a new security system (where there has never been a security problem) and multi media equipment.

That is when I knew I would never return to this church under the present leadership.

It is interesting to me that two mainline protestant churches can be so different in their interpretation of the definition and work of a church. The UMC taking a gospel, service approach while the RCA is taking a business model approach.

Just doing this exercise helped me realize why I was never quite comfortable as new leadership took over my RCA church, and why I have always felt wonderfully renewed when returning to my former UMC church.


We have never gone to church in the summer as we are usually at our camp on weekends, being renewed in God's beautiful creation. But now, after a good mourning period, I am feeling the need to find another spiritual community. As I began to jot down my thoughts on this a few weeks ago, the NakedPastor posted this cartoon that summed it up quite nicely.



Yep, I don’t need an exclusive social club where they circle the wagons around their idea of God and take care of themselves. I need a community where I can go say ‘thank you’ for everything I have and then go out, do it for others and see God in everyone. (And a little weekly reminder on staying on a good path doesn’t hurt me either)

I’ve stopped seeing the sacred as a place I go to worship God, but as the place where God shows up in a variety of ways. - Julie Clawson

9 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 21, 2010

    It's good to see how far you've come with this. You now see them for who they are and will soon be able to leave them completely behind where they belong. I'm sure once you find your new church that will happen for you. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I heard they put that security system in because they were afraid of your revenge.

    They have lost so many members (translated dollars) that they now need to recruit more pew sitters. They are taking a business approach to that - advertizing with the Chamber of Commerce, renting out the church space to private businesses, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they start holding membership drives at the private golf club they all belong to and give away free toasters with every tithe.

    It is truly a shame. It was once a great place to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing it out is very clarifying. I can't imagine you having anything further to do with the RCA.

    Life is too short and precious to waste time with self serving, judgmental, hypocritical people. You will find the right faith community and it will feel like coming home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 21, 2010

    What those people did to Stan and Sharon and you is nothing less than sinful, an affront to all that is Christian.

    Shame on them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could add some insight...but not be a religious/church going person, I feel like I have nothing to offer here.

    All I can say is I hope you find the right church for you and that it feels like home. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose there needs to be a church to serve all kinds of people - the country club snobs and those who truly "get it". I am sure you will find a home for your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will probably gag on this - one the things they are trumpeting is their open communication

    Strange coming from a group that refused to meet with you even once and won't return an email.

    I wonder if they see the hypocrisy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! so glad I read this! some more fodder for visioning for my own congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is sadly becoming all too common - churches taking a business approach and competing to attract customers.

    I agree with you - churches that try to sell their church as "the place" where God resides, have missed the point entirely.

    ReplyDelete