Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stupid Is As Stupid Does

Yesterday we got our first real snowfall of the year. Every storm that clobbered the mid-atlantic states, missed us. Even the weathermen were becoming apologetic. “Sorry, looks like another storm is going to miss us.” But we finally, finally have some snow. Yay.

I, being of scandinavian descent, have always taken saunas. I have always had access to either a gym or nearby facility that had one. And when I moved into a house, I installed my own in the basement. I love taking a sauna. Quiet, peaceful, alone time.

Last night I was thinking that I had never done the traditional - take a sauna and then go roll in the snow - and I should probably try that now that we had this beautiful fresh snowfall. So I went out in the dark, barefoot, dropped my towel, and laid down in the snow naked, to make a snow angel

Oh my f#cking God. I could not intake a breath of air, although I was gasping for it. I think my blood instantly froze and my heart stopped. Why would anyone think it was a good idea to go instantly from 200 degrees to 10 degrees?

As soon as I was able to suck some air back into my lungs, I ran back to the house, shivering, to the heat of the sauna to defrost. I could hear my kids laughing hysterically upstairs. I was thinking that the high Swedish suicide rate is probably not suicide at all. Just a bunch of crazy people who went from a sauna to the snow and never lived to tell the tale.

This morning I looked out to where my beautiful snow angel was suppose to be. It looked more like some animal had had a death struggle there. Not quite the way I had envisioned.

Oh well, scratch another thing off my bucket list.

As a side note - someone apparently nominated my blog for a Lezzy Award from LesbianLifeStyle. I thank whoever nominated me. It is extremely flattering. But I tend to like the small group of readers I currently have, and the occasional newcomer is always welcome. I have no desire to actively attract more readers. In fact I really enjoy the intimate level of this blog particularly as I am now using it to document a difficult and personal journey. But again, thank you. It is very heartwarming to be thought of.

11 comments:

  1. LMAO - I would have paid to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my desk and laughing, quite literally, out LOUD! "Death struggle" should not be cracking me up as much as it is right now, but I picture it so clearly. You are a rock star for attempting it, regardless of how it turned out. Awesome story.


    I knew you'd feel that way about the award nom. (it was not me) and I feel the same exact way. Isn't it odd that we have public blogs but feel as though we're sitting at a small table with friends? I don't ever want that to change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HiLARious story! I can just imagine! I have never, ever been tempted to try such a crazy Nordic stunt.

    I agree with you and Greg about the blog intimacy. I am, however, voting for jessejames!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo! I'm glad I'm not of Scandanavian descent and thus obligated to try that!!! :) samm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe the change from hot to cold is suppose to help your circulation - not stop it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't commented for a while but I am reading your blog. The sauna in your own basement- how lovely- but the roll in the snow...I once got it in my head to try the polar bear swim- awful, incredibly awful. Enjoy the beautiful snow- and make a snow angel- fully dressed would be nicer. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a brilliant post and really made me laugh A LOT.

    Good luck for this evening, I'll be thinking of you :) Hx

    ReplyDelete
  8. LMAO as well! That is way too funny. I think there may be an element of alcohol involved in naked snow rolling as well. Maybe that is what you were missing.

    Love the visual of the death stuggle, that will keep me giggling for a while.

    You are truly a very brave woman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopefully this naked snow angel story won't disqualify you from the award. ;-)

    I am surprised to learn that this is the first major storm for you this year. Hopefully it was a wet snow that allowed you to build some snowwomen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LMAO! That is soooo freakin funny!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried to make a snow angel all bundled up in ski clothes and I thought THAT was cold! You are a crazy woman for trying it in the nude. But that was a very funny post.

    P.S. I didn't nominate you for the award, but I would have voted for you if you hadn't declined the nomination. The reasons you stated, though, were the reasons why I never would have nominated you, but you definitely deserve a nomination if you want one.

    .... and wasn't that confusing. Hope you get my point. :-)

    ReplyDelete