I was going to write something about my therapy session yesterday but I think I need to wait for the emotions to be a little less raw and to let things settle. And so instead of doing all the other things I should be doing, I completed this meme. Feel free to pick it up. I love reading other people's memes.
1. When was your first kiss?
I kissed a boy in second grade while at summer camp. His name was Scott. Funny that I would remember that.
2. When did you first start buying holiday or birthday gifts for other people and stop thinking about what people would buy for you?
Probably around 9th grade when I bought gifts for my boyfriend.
3. When was the first time you thought of yourself not as a kid/teen, but as an adult?
When I paid my first college tuition bill.
4. What do you remember about the first time you drove a car?
I don’t remember the first time I drove a car, but I remember the day I first got my driver’s license. My sister had just bought her very first car on that same day and she let me drive it to school myself. No one would ever be as cool in my eyes as my sister was that day.
5. Tell me about your first pet.
We never had “real” pets like cats or dogs. I was allowed to have a turtle who escaped and was never found. I always suspected my brother had used him as a science experiment.
6. What was your first job?
I worked as a cashier in a grocery store.
7. Who was the first teacher to make a positive impact on your life?
I don’t remember a “first” teacher but the teacher who made the biggest impact was a college planning professor, the department head, whose entire final exam consisted of one question - what is the name of the janitor in the department? He later explained that we have to understand and respect all the parts, or we have learned nothing at all. A life lesson that has stuck with me.
8. If you’ve lived in more than one house or apartment as an adult, tell me about your first one.
My first apartment after college was in a poverty stricken housing project. Very basic. Less than basic. No frills. No security. Paper thin walls. Worn through linoleum floors. Bugs. A couple hundred units exactly alike. Best neighbors I have ever had.
9. What was it like the first time you got drunk (assuming you remember).
Spent the night with my head in the toilet. Puking. All night. Never did that again.
10. Did you marry your first love?
No, but I really would have liked to.