Thursday, January 5, 2023

Marriage Resolutions


I recently learned of a former acquaintance who is heartbroken after her 3rd marriage has dissolved.   I also read a story about a couple divorcing after 70 years of marriage.


I thought I was beyond making New Year’s resolutions as, at my age,  I am pretty set in my ways. But these two occurrences had me thinking about marriages and what makes them work. Or not. 


Martha and I have been together for over 30 years and I realize that I often take the relationship for granted.  She takes care of so much family stuff, household cleanliness and repair issues that I don't even have to think about it.  She also drives me nuts with her clutter, forgetfulness and Amazon addiction.  I think she is going deaf - or, more likely, she just tunes me out.   And I’m sure she has a long list of the ways I annoy her.  We have lived through many of life’s chapters with lots of love and laughter.  But I shouldn't assume it will continue without some care and attention. 


I know many marriages end for very, very good reasons.  But many also end because of neglect. 


So my 2023 resolution is to be more mindful of our relationship and to do something thoughtful or kind for her every day.  


Well, maybe at least 5 days a week.  No sense in falling into the resolution trap of setting unrealistic goals. 





 

4 comments:

  1. I like this, what an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love this. All the best to the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you to realize this before it becomes a problem! It's true, relationships (of all kinds) need work and nurturing. I hope you and Martha have another 30 together!

    ReplyDelete