Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Omens

This is a dogwood tree we planted to commemorate our youngest daughter’s birth.  It flowers every year around her birthday.  And then it produces these red berry-like things that the birds, squirrels and chipmunks enjoy.



I have found that the number of berries is a good predictor of our winter weather.  I think it is nature's way of providing little critters with some food stores.  


I have never, in 28 years, seen so many berries on this tree.  Fortunately my nordic blood does not mind cold winter temps and I love the coziness of a snow fall.  But I’d better go change the oil in the snowblower.  Looks like this year might be a doozy. 


6 comments:

  1. Interesting prediction, most likely accurate! Forewarned is fore-oiled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if only I could give my joints a good oiling!

      Delete
  2. That looked so unlike the dogwoods we have here that I had to google it. Kousa dogwood. That's a Chinese native. I had one at the old house, but don't think it had gotten big enough to flower when we moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a landscape architect friend who knows and uses the Latin names for plants. I just go with "the tree with the white flowers and red berry things."

      Delete
  3. Hello 8! I am so glad to see you here!
    That is a fascinating dogwood. We have plain gorgeous red berries on ours, but they aren't as textured and pretty as yours.

    I hope all is will with you all and the kids and the snow blower. I'm kind of ready for a fast and furious winter, as long as I don't run out of coffee and chocolate.
    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete