Friday, February 12, 2021

Vaccinated

 How are vaccines going in your neck of the woods?

In New York they have been slow with an onerous procedure to try to get an appointment.


My oldest daughter was the first in our family to be eligible as she works in a hospital emergency room and a school.  Her hospital coordinated the appointments and has finished the 2 shot protocol.  She had some mild side effects following each dose which kept her in bed for a day.


Martha was in the next eligible group, working in a school.  Again, the school reserved a window of appointments at a local hospital and most of the staff received their doses on the same day.  Of course, the school forgot about the side effects so after each round of shots, a majority of teachers called in sick the following two days with body aches, fatigue and other symptoms.  Lack of staff caused in-school closures. Poor planning.


I was eligible in the 3rd group - the people older than dirt category.  But with no agency sponsoring me, I was on my own to try to get an appointment.  There was a website setup which listed the available sites and whether appointments were available.  But as soon as some were available, they were snatched up.  The trick seemed to be to get on the site after midnight and keep hitting ‘refresh’ until something opened and then be able to sign up in a nanosecond or it was gone.  I finally got an appointment for the end of March at a local university.  Many people were getting appointments for their parents, but had to drive 4 hours away for a site with available vaccines.  


But then last week Beaner called me to say that a friend of hers who works in a sister hospital said that because of the impending snow storm, they had a number of cancellations and if I could get there within the hour I could get the shot.  I drove thru the snow got the Moderna shot on a Monday afternoon and felt well enough to do the snow blowing a few times on Tuesday.  But Wednesday morning I woke up feeling like someone had poured concrete into all my joints and I slept most of the day.   And then I was fine again.  


I get my second dose on March 1st and have made no plans for the following days as I’ve heard that the side effects could be worse.  But then I hope, taking all other precautions, to be able to  go visit my daughter in Florida.  I will have to quarantine upon my return but that’s not a problem.  Oh wait, and that rule seems to have changed too.  It’s hard to stay current on all the protocols.  I am now reading that the appointment procedure has now also changed and it should be much easier to get scheduled.  I hope so.


I have not been out and about much due to the pandemic.  Having the vaccine has made me feel a little more confident about exposure to other people.  Having an adult as President has made me feel much more confident about the future health of our country.  Now if we could just get a vaccine against hate and stupidity . . .


Hope springs eternal.



13 comments:

  1. Getting an appointment is so frustrating in some states, and even in different counties within a state. I'm glad to hear you having some success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the folks who need it the most are finding it the hardest to get. Arrrrgggghh.

      Delete
  2. I am not eligible and am hoping when i am they have the j&j one dose available... my wife got them and didn't have any side affects except a mild headache after the second one. one daughter was sick after the second one - but not the first. it is crazy how some are affected and some are not... hope you do well with #2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't know why it says I am Mary - i am laura (used to have pawsintospeak blog :))

      Delete
  3. I am not eligible and am hoping when i am they have the j&j one dose available... my wife got them and didn't have any side affects except a mild headache after the second one. one daughter was sick after the second one - but not the first. it is crazy how some are affected and some are not... hope you do well with #2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to hear from you, I miss your blog! I am hearing about quite the variety of side effects, but fortunately, nothing that lasts more than a day or two.

      Delete
  4. How great that you were able to get the cancellation appointment. It's crazy, isn't it?
    I was finally able to get an appointment for my 85 year old Dad. It was a nightmare of computer nonsense. He'll get his first shot next Friday. I'm really hoping that they will vaccinate my brother at the same time, but I doubt it. I don't expect to be eligible until April or May. Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am surprised that you were not able to wrangle something sooner for your dad with your former medical connections. Most elderly folk I volunteer with don't even own computers. I hope states are finding ways to reach that most vulnerable population. Crazy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband (who is a nurse) got his early on. I was in the lottery as a spouse, but before that became avaiable, my group (behavioral health providers opened up) and I was able to get an appointment. I had my first shot - Pfizer - almost two weeks ago and get my second in another week, but it was tough getting that appointment. In fact, someone did it for me who had the time to watch for openings. They seem to finally be having more appointments available. My county accidentally threw away 950 doses of the vaccine! Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fines are so strict in New York for giving the vaccine to someone who is not yet eligible that some places have been tossing leftover vaccines rather than face penalties. The whole process is poorly planned, but hopefully getting better.

      Delete
  7. I became eligible as a "front line grocery worker" in stage 2 in NY because I started doing instacart last year in my spare time as a way to give back (I'm relatively young and super healthy), but it is basically impossible to get an appointment downstate, as I'm sure you know. A buddy and I have talked about taking a day trip up to Plattsburgh b/c they seem to be the only place with reliable openings, but it shouldn't have to come to that either so for now, I'm hoping I can get in at Walgreens or CVS - I set my alarm for midnight every night just to see if maybe I can snag one, but so far, no go.

    My boss's brother is on chemo and he can't get an appt to save his life either and I find the whole thing so distressing. WHY is it like this in this country?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so bizarre as I know quite a few upstate people who drove down to Stonybrook to get their shots and now downstate people are driving to Plattsburg? What a clusterf*ck. Fingers crossed that things open up quickly, especially for those in the greatest need.

      Delete
  8. My state, county, town, (yes, all three must be considered) just opened it up for my age group. I have been having difficulty getting to any appointment site. I shall keep trying.

    My daughter who works in an assisted living facility has had first and second doses with little side effects.

    Happy the vaccines exists but inconsistent availability, delivery, and other factors are maddening.

    I'm glad your got and are getting yours.

    ReplyDelete