Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Full of Grace

 I have been trying to be more active in the blogging world, catching up on friends, old and new, and trying to write a few posts myself.  However, I have been having quite the problem leaving comments on blogs and also replying to comments left on my site.  I *think* I have now solved the problem (a security setting) but I do apologize if my comments haven’t appeared in the last couple of weeks, or perhaps appeared 15 times as I tried to work it out.  Please know that I have been reading along.


Living in New York, I had the opportunity to see Cicely Tyson in her last Broadway role in The Gin Game.  She was 90 years old and maybe 90 pounds dripping wet playing opposite James Earl Jones, a huge bear of a man. They were the only characters in the play for more than 2 hours straight and she was never over shadowed by him.  I feel so honored to have witnessed that performance and to have seen that million dollar smile in person.


Recently a young high school athlete in my town was diagnosed with a rare cancer.  A family friend started a ‘Go Fund Me’ page to help soften the financial burden the family will face for the next year or so.  Within 1 hour the original $30,000 goal was reached.   In 2 days the fund was over $80,000.  We are a small town and that outpouring of support just made my heart swell.


High school sports has just been approved to start playing which means that Martha is back coaching basketball.  Which gives me two things to be grateful for - she is out of the house for 2-3 hours every day AND no spectators are allowed so I don’t have to go sit in a smelly gym twice a week when games start.  Win, win.  


Lastly, yet another snowfall last night. Fortunately, unlike the southern states, we are used to it so it is only a mild inconvenience.  And I have a brand new amazing snowblower to make my job a breeze. 


Life is good.


4 comments:

  1. You are coming up roses in the depth of winter, 8!
    I had to chuckle at the school sport outcome. Couldn't be better!
    I'm sorry to hear about the young man with the rare cancer. What a strong community though. All good wishes to him and his family.
    Cicely Tyson. Wow. How lucky to see her on stage in her final role. All the tributes that I have read speak about her importance as a leader and role model in the Black community and that is certainly true. But, more of them should mention how utterly gorgeous she was! All her life long she was a beautiful woman. And, of course, an important and influential one.
    Have fun with the new snow thrower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cicely Tyson, live. Wow!

    So sorry for the young man with the rare cancer and I too, am in awe of the outpouring of support proving once again, humanity is still alive.

    We had a big snow around the same time too. I am crossing everything that all of that is behind us now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are mostly moving out of winter now. I'm ready for Spring.

    It's lovely when a community comes together to help someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 8, I am tickled to see your post!
    There is a goodness among us that gets overshadowed by either hatred or ignorance. I am hoping deeply that the next few years straighten much of that out. We can see the need when it’s right in front of us but not a border away. ..

    I chuckled about Martha. You must love that girl to attend all her coaching games. Enjoy the reprieve!

    Ian going to try to blog consistently. I’m going to try to be interesting!
    Love
    kj

    ReplyDelete