Thursday, May 2, 2019

Savannah


My, it has been quite a while since I posted here.


A few weeks back I had surgery to blast the gravel pit of stones in my kidneys. No one seems to know why I am prone to them, but this has been my fifth go round with surgery. And once again the anesthesia confounded me. Martha complained that on the surgical waiting room board, everyone who finished surgery about the same time I did went home and I was still in the recovery room. But I did eventually wake up, drank, peed and went home with foggy anesthesia brain that seems to still be lingering. Later in the week the doctor very kindly came into his office on his day off to remove my stents before my vacation, and then the next two days I found myself writhing in excruciating pain as I apparently passed the remaining stone fragments.


But enough about that because then I got to pack my bags and go to Savannah.


The original plan was booked when Peachie was still living in Boston. “Come to my new house for Easter” she said. “I will take you to the Boston airport the next morning and pick you up when you come home Friday and you can visit for the weekend.”


Perfect. Until her fiance got a promotion and they moved to Florida.


So because we had an early Monday morning flight, Martha and I spent Easter driving to Boston to stay in a hotel. It is usually a 3 hour drive but because of traffic, it took us 5 hours. This is the lovely Easter dinner we shared at a Mass. Turnpike rest stop.




A brief and expensive night in a hotel and then an Uber to the airport in more heavy traffic. But at least our flight was on-time and uneventful.


We rented a car and drove to our Airbnb - an amazing restored warehouse right on the Savannah river.





Savannah has such an interesting history, both from the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. I hadn’t known that General Sherman, while burning his way through the south, was so awestruck by the beauty of Savannah that he left it unscathed as a gift to Lincoln. And while I understand that the city had deteriorated considerably in the following century, the Savannah College of Art and Design began buying and restoring buildings and today the historic district is a model of antebellum beauty and preservation.




Still, it is the south. We toured a plantation owner’s house, and it’s slave quarters. And while the language has become more accurate (the enslaved rather than slaves) I still struggled with the untold history of these people. I could feel their pain and prayers soaked in the walls and I felt a deep inner trembling when walking through the square that had been the slave market.

Our first night we ate in one of the oldest inns, a place that had a secret tunnel out to the river. If a man got drunk, he might find himself being carried thru the tunnel and awaken as a deckhand on a ship.

I usually order seafood but my eye was drawn to “world famous pecan chicken” which turned out to be fried chicken swimming in a butter, brown sugar, bourbon, pecan sauce with a sweet potato casserole that was mostly butter and brown sugar.

The following day I ordered a salad to try to balance the richness of the night before. But my salad had perhaps three leaves of lettuce, two heavily coated fried green tomatoes, bacon and was drenched in a buttermilk dressing. Why haven’t all these people keeled over from heart attacks?




The next day we ate at a crab shack and my shrimp and crab were again floating in a butter sauce. I also wanted to try sweet tea and found that to be about 1 part tea and 5 parts sugar. Heart attacks and diabetes must be quite prevalent.

One day we drove to the original Georgia colony at Wormsloe where the driveway was lined by this stunning array of live oaks dripping with spanish moss.



I was advised not to touch the spanish moss as it it inhabited by spiders and chiggers. Yikes. You don’t have to tell me twice.

Interestingly the original rules of the Georgia colonies were no catholics, no alcohol, no lawyers and no slaves. But apparently since the colonies couldn’t compete with the enslaved free labor of the Carolinas, slaves were eventually allowed. Sadly, it always comes down to money and greed.

One other thing I found mesmerizing was spending time on our little balcony, watching paddle boats and container ships coming up the river.






It is hard to describe the enormity of these ships.

Martha, who is into history, spent most of her time reading plaques and learning about the monuments. But I was more fascinated by the grid layout of the city and the numerous squares and parks laid out as a fire barrier - lessons learned from the great London fire. I roamed up and down back streets and alleys, chatted with park buskers and artists, and generally found myself conflicted between the architectural beauty and the disturbing history of this city.






We had an early flight back which was of course delayed, so we wound up spending yet another night in a Boston hotel, but finally made it home, tired but safe and sound. 

And quite a few pounds heavier.






15 comments:

  1. london HaizeMay 02, 2019

    Looks stunning. A place I too would love to visit, maybe on my next trip over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to hear from you London! Of course historical American is nothing compared to European historical but it is indeed a beautiful city. Pack elastic waistband pants : )

      Delete
  2. What a fascinating trip! I can picture you being mesmerized by the layout of the city. Fortunately, both you and M had plenty to keep your minds busy. It looks like you had good weather and a lovely place to stay.
    The food is another thing entirely. I laughed at the picture of the salad!
    Savannah is one of those southern cities that capture people's imaginations. I'm glad it wasn't burned to the ground but, honestly, it's never been on my bucket list.
    Rest up, friend! More travel is in your future!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps they only serve northerners the artery clogging foods as revenge : )

      I am so looking forward to getting a west coast education in history, food, flora and architecture!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad the surgery is in the past, and it did not impede your vacation plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too, I can't even imagine going through that away from home.

      Delete
  4. It's too bad you didn't get to visit your daughter but Savannah looks lovely, despite the horrible history. Slavery, and still it continues to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will make it up to me by hosting me in warm Florida next winter. Savannah has a very conflicted history, the contradictions being quite interesting in themselves.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a fun trip but I got goosebumps when I read your line about the square that was a former slave market...it's interesting to appreciate the beauty of a place while also understanding the terrible history. I'm glad you and Martha both had a nice time though and the weather looked to be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend a visit here. I kept thinking that the same reason that slavery was condoned (economic greed) is the same reason we are now killing Mother Earth. We will never learn.

      The weather was beautiful and we were told that it was just coming into the buggy season, so grateful for that.

      Delete
  6. So happy to read you both had an enjoyable time. The city looks amazing. Probably only folks on vacation eat like that. Or maybe the locals have become immune. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lovely city but it's a good thing it was a short vacation. I couldn't have continued to eat like that for long.

      Delete
  7. I love Savannah, in spite of it's troubling history. My sister lives there and I once seriously considered moving there. I think obesity rates are as high there as anywhere. And honestly, I don't know how anyone drinks sweet tea. It's sickeningly sweet. But the times I've been, I've always had restaurant meals that were much lighter than that. You can get really good, fresh seafood without the heavy butter accompaniment. Glad you were well enough to enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this just supports my theory that there are different menus for southerners and northerners : )

      Delete
  8. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Hpv,Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Brain Cancer,Lung Cancer,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheriaAmyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete