Sunday, January 24, 2010

Deja Vu, All Over Again

The other day Martha and I had another argument. Actually it was one of the same arguments that crop up fairly regularly. Twenty years together and we continue to have the same three arguments. Over and over again with no resolution. Money - she is a spender, I am a saver. Sports - school sports dominate everything, I believe in more balance. Child discipline - she waffles, I don’t.

You would think after all these years that we would have worked out these issues. But no. Instead we continue to fall into the same pattern - the argument, and day or so barely speaking to each other, then its over and we continue as if nothing happened. In an effort to try to break this pattern I decided to talk about t this morning:

Me: Why do we always have the same argument, over and over, and never resolve it.

Martha: Because I am always right and you believe (mistakenly) that you are always right.

Me: So we are doomed to repeat this over and over, like Groundhog Day? Don’t you ever get tired of it?

Martha: No, because you’re so cute when you’re angry and the make-up sex is always so good.

Me: So you don’t mind these arguments because of the make-up sex?

Martha: Works for me.


Actually, I think I can live with that.

10 comments:

  1. It seems like we always know how to push each others buttons, don't we?

    Make up sex is always fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes. I remember when the make up sex was definitely worth the argument!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you two definitely got somewhere in that conversation! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imagine if all arguments between people and nations could be handled this way! Good for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like some things really are best left unresolved, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're cute when you're angry?

    That must be love talking : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that she said you're cute when you're angry. She's goooood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! 20 years and you're stil having great make up sex! Freakin' awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. never had make up sex.. ha ha. she's impressive--knows how to derail you with humor. it's a great trait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have been mad at the "cute when angry" statement, but would have gotten over it with the make up sex statement... especially if some were included!

    ReplyDelete