Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Full of Grace

Back when I was in therapy for PTSD, my therapist suggested that I start a gratitude practice.  I would often post Full of Grace posts here, trying to include at least 5 things I was particularly grateful for.  It is a practice I still continue, although more privately these days.  But today I want to write about over 50+ things I am grateful for.


Last week I attended the funeral for my son-in-law’s uncle.  He had been a heart transplant recipient 20 years ago and spent all of those years encouraging and supporting other transplant patients.  I only met him a few times, but each meeting was like an encounter with joy.  He was a grateful, compassionate soul.


At the funeral home, next to the casket, there was a large display dedicated to the young man who had been his heart donor, along with information about becoming a donor.  I sat next to a woman who then told me she was the donor’s mother.  She had flown in from Michigan to attend the funeral, as she continues relationships with every recipient of her son’s organs.  Personally, I can’t imagine experiencing the death of a child, over and over but she seemed to have more pride than sorrow.  She also told me that between his organs and his tissues, he had given over 50 people the gift of life.  


Over 50 people given the opportunity to live longer or better lives, to love and share with their friends and families.  


Amazing. 


Today I am so very grateful for organ donors who give the gift of life, recipients who share their gift to help others, and particularly mothers who embrace and endure this bittersweet miracle. 





10 comments:

  1. Organ donation is a living miracle. I am grateful for the person who gave my friend Lisa a second chance at life. She wasn't given any identifying information about the donor (some kind of HIPAA thing, perhaps?) which was frustrating because I wanted to write to their family.
    Condolences to your son-in-law and his family, and to that amazing mom.
    E (not anonymous just computer issues...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it is up to the donor's family to remain anonymous or not. Or perhaps laws have become more restrictive over the years to address some issue. But I could see how much being a part of my SIL's uncle's life meant to this mother, so I hope there is some avenue that these amazing people can stay connected, if they want to.

      Delete
  2. I used to read your blog, awhile back, under the name of Lily, still the same person:)

    One of my coworkers has a son with CF who is 26 years old. He received at lung transplant on the long weekend in August. I know how thankful his family is that is was able to receive those lungs and continue his life. It's hearbreaking to think that someone else has to lose somebody for a transplant but wonderful that it can help someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading your blog and being thankful that there are healthcare workers like you in the world. Like donors, you make the world a better place.

      Delete
  3. Yes, to everything you wrote. A thousand times, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so hopeful and affirming. There are more good people among us all than bad. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, it seems that the bad folks enjoy power more than compassion. Fortunately, the good folks just keep keeping on.

      Delete
  5. I teared up when I read this, and I DON'T cry! There really are good people in this world. Nice to be reminded of that.

    ReplyDelete