Friday, December 21, 2018

Winter Solstice in the Winter of my Life

Today is the Winter Solstice in the northern hemisphere, the shortest and darkest day of the year. After today the sun will shine brighter, its rays will grow stronger and it will be visible in the sky longer and longer. Yet as winter inches on, each day will grow colder (my joints achier) and the snow deeper (I hope).

I do love the winter, especially really cold, snowy ones. I love when our little lake freezes thick enough to walk across (although I now fear falling on the ice). And when the snow is deep enough to snowshoe through back woods and stream corridors and I am awed at all the little creature tracks and trails (although my old age aches and pains now limit how far I can go).




I love when the air is so cold that the sky turns the deepest blue (although my fingers and toes now turn numb) and the snow magically sparkles as it flutters down to earth. I love the joy when the night air is so crisp and clear that the stars are extraordinary bright and I can see all the way to the Milky Way (although my eyesight isn’t what it used to be).

With each passing year, winter still holds more magical delights than achy discomforts for me. I hope it will always be so.

I wish for everyone bundles of wonder and joy (and pain free joints) in this, the most enchanting of seasons.


Happy Solstice!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for this lovely reminder and Happy Solstice to you as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm missing the snow now, after reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Solstice! We've always celebrated this as the birthday of the sun, from when my kids were little, so we had cake and candles last night and sang to Father Sun, in anticipation of his returning light. So glad to be looking forward to longer and brighter days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Blessed Solstice to you, 8! I love how much you love winter, which is not the favorite season of many people. One of the things I love about this time of year is staying indoors and working on projects that don't require sunshine and dry weather.
    We don't have snow yet where I live (and some years we don't get any) but our mountains are gloriously covered. If I were more intrepid I would get out my cross country skis and head up to the snow. Instead, I'll picture you on your showshoes in the quiet of a snowy forest, tracking small animals as they go about their business.
    Best wishes to you and yours!
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a good attitude about winter! But I do love snow, when we get it - it does make the world look magical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not as big a fan of winter and snow mostly due to having to get around in it which can be extremely challenging. Still, I can (and do) appreciate the majesty of the first, sparkling snowfall.

    Happy Solstice! May the magic continue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many Thanks for the shared this informative and interesting post with me.
    GamesBx News 2020 | Juegos Poki 2020 | GamesBX 2020 relax| Wormax 2020

    ReplyDelete