Friday, April 20, 2018

Full of Grace

It’s been a while since I posted here.  One of the main reasons is that the eyelid stye I had developed in February became a cyst, which began to press on my cornea, which then gave me double vision in that eye, which had been making it difficult to focus, which gave me a headache looking at a computer screen for too long.  

I have now had surgery to remove the cyst.  Six shots in the eyelid to numb it (yowza) , then some sort of clamp under the eyelid, poking and prodding, cutting and then cauterizing.  I passed out. But a little over a week of recovery and my vision seems to be slowly returning to normal and I am immensely grateful.

Martha’s routine colonoscopy was all clear. She has a lot of cancer in her family so it was particularly good news.

The house siding installation is done along with the 8 days of banging and clanging and windows rattling.  My furballs are just starting to come out from hiding.

The shutters are up and I’m more or less happy with them.  I am still looking for some black hardware to dress them up but so far everything is 3 times more expensive than what the shutters cost me to build.  Even faux hardware is ridiculously expensive.




My garden is all laid out.  I put landscape barrier down and then make cut outs for the plants which eliminates a lot of weeding.  


Usually at this time my seedlings are outside during the day getting fresh air and sunshine but we have had the coldest, snowiest April on record. Every day has been cold, cloudy and gloomy.  Next week’s weather is looking a little more promising.

Hope springs eternal. Or there is eternal hope that Spring will eventually arrive.


11 comments:

  1. The shutters look great. Nice color scheme. The surgery sounds awful. I'm happy it is now in the past, and that it is making a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good golly, eye surgery. I would be unconscious for that too. Makes me queasy to think about it! Good to hear that Martha got the ok on the colonoscopy.

    Your siding and shutters look fantastic. I know what you mean about the hardware -- total ripoff! Ridiculous!

    Your garden is always so impressive. That's a lot of space to fill! I think this year I am only going to plant a couple of groupings of the 'three sisters'. Corn, beans, squash planted together. Some of my garden boxes are in the front and subject to plenty of human predation. I don't mind sharing, but please leave the gardener some of the produce!

    Looking forward to May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I don't watch medical things being done tome but having my eye clamped open made that impossible.

      I am thinking about having someone artistic come and paint trompe l'oeil hardware. I know that is cheating but cheaper.

      Delete
  3. 1. looling good
    2. ouch, eye surgery. so glad vision is improving
    3. yay for Martha's all clear!
    4. the shutters and the siding look marvelous. I know nothing of hardware costs. I can well imagine.
    5. Ahh, garden. Ahh, spring. Ahh, hope.
    6. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a huge garden - I hope you get a lot of harvest from it. The siding and shutters look great. Eye sounds painful -glad it is better. Hoping the weather turns here soon... We planted a lot of grass seed and the dreary weather is perfect for it - but my heart would like to see some sunshine! Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this will be a down garden year. My seedlings are looking scrawny and many have already died. I am hoping that some long overdue sunshine will perk everything back up.

      Delete
  5. 8, how deep do you bury the landscape barrier? doing only one raised bed for now in our front yard for tomato plants!

    so glad your eye is okay and taken care of. the procedure sounds horrible. you are a brave woman!

    I think your shutters look great! you made them, didn't you? I wish I had your talent and energy. good thing I'm content with my less ambitious self.

    happy spring my friend. xo
    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not bury the landscape fabric. I just cut holes in it where I want to plant and the rest become walkways.

      My eye has regressed which is a major bummer. Looking at possible cataract surgery. I can't quite get used to this aging thing.

      Happy Spring to you!

      Delete
  6. The surgery sounds dreadful. but I'm glad it helped.

    Looking forward to seeing how your garden progresses!

    ReplyDelete