Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Deja vu, all over again


Last week I broke my toe. The pinky toe on my left foot.

I was restoring some beautiful oak drawers that I salvaged from an old desk and dropped a large piece on my foot. I did have sneakers on but, of course, it hit at just the right unprotected spot.  I believe a few choice expletives may have escaped my lips. Although, I wonder, if a curse word falls in the garage with no one around, does it make a sound?

Anyway, my toe is swollen and half my foot is purple.  It has been somewhat triggering for me as it is the same foot that was smashed years ago during the attack.  If I stay off the foot I am in no pain. But as soon as I stand or walk on it, pain shoots from my foot to my brain. While I do appreciate and celebrate that I no longer curl into a ball and retreat into a non-responsive, PTSD quivering mess anymore, this triggering is causing my brain to flash ugly images of that day, like a ViewMaster going off in my head.

For a long time I wanted to feel this kind of pain, physical and mental, as a kind of self punishment. But I am over that. Long over that. Now, although I never want to forget what happened, I no longer want the graphic images popping up uninvited.  They are not pleasant and I wish I could get them to stop. It is taking a lot of energy to not have them effect me. I need my foot to heal and to heal quickly.  

On another note, one would think that when one broke a toe and had a lot of foot pain, that other family members might step up and offer to walk the dog.  Nope. Not even the daughter who brought her dog home for Thanksgiving.  Two dogs needing exercise, not one offer to help. And so I strapped on my high top hiking boots to stabilize the foot and limped around the block with two dogs pulling me along. Sometimes I do not like my family.

Anyway, this recent episode has me thinking that when I had breast reconstruction, I should have gotten double D’s instead of the small, never need to wear a bra, implants I did get. I think perhaps large implants would have stopped all the things I am constantly dropping on my feet.  Constantly!

Also, this injury is killing my daily step goals - down from 12,000 to 4,000. Arrrgggghh.

But as you can see, this post is going disintegrating into a whiny mess so I will say adieu.



8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you broke your toe, and even sorrier that it is triggering these memories. I hope it heals quickly and you are able to get back to normal. I must say, I did have to smile at the breast implant paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the condolences, the foot is s l o w l y healing.

      If it weren't such an invasive surgery I might seriously consider reconstructing my reconstruction, if only to save my feet : )

      Delete
  2. I can't believe nobody offered to walk the dogs. I'm naturally flat chested so everything always hits the floor:)

    And memories, they seem to find their way to the surface despite our best efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky if things fall only to the floor. Mine always hit my feet - and I have pretty small feet.

      You are right, of course - wounds heal, memories stay with us and the love behind those memories remains.

      Delete
  3. Oh, no. Dammit. I'm sorry about the toe and foot for the pain involved, but I'm really sorry about the triggering of flashbacks. I am absolutely certain that you are better able to handle the memories but it makes me mad that you have to. I'm sending you the strongest healing energy that I can summon.

    In the meantime, shame on your family! Hobbling along with two dogs on leashes? What is wrong with them??? If I had their email addresses I would send them a very sharp message. Bad form, women, come on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the healing energy and the shared indignation- always appreciated.

      I am thinking that Santa will put coal in their stockings this year.

      Delete
  4. I feel your pain regarding family going on about their own businesses. The visitors with a dog in tow should have definitely been first to volunteer walking.

    So sorry about the toe and the triggering. May the healing continue apace and may the memories find their way back to the farthest recesses.

    The breast paragraph reminds me of a wild and wooly "Roseanne" episode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! Hope you heal quickly and the memories subside...

    ReplyDelete