Thursday, March 1, 2018

Dick's



Yesterday Dick’s Sporting Goods announced they would no longer sell assault style rifles. They would also not sell high capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21, no matter what the local state regulations were.








I met the owner of Dick’s (Mr. Stack to me) very early in my career. He owned one stand-alone sporting goods store adjacent to the city I worked for and we were trying to entice him to open a new store in our downtown. It was a time when downtowns were dying and no one was investing in city retail.





But Mr. Stack had once worked in our downtown and had a soft spot for the city. He truly wanted to help in its economic development, even if it presented a financial risk to him. For about a year we sat and planned. I was pretty much an underling at the time but he and his family always treated me with respect and gave me a lot of confidence in my abilities.





When the new store finally opened the Stack’s always gave back to the community and were interested in the surrounding businesses’ success as much as their own. Mr. Stack’s son eventually took over the company and I was delighted when I learned that they had since expanded all over the country.





I was not surprised by their announcement yesterday as they always were always a family based, community oriented company. I am happy that they have not strayed from their roots and values.


Today I am going to my local Dick’s and buying something. Anything. I want to support them as they join the fight to turn the tide on gun regulations just as they supported me and my former community. I hope you will give them some encouraging words on their social media or, if you are able, go buy something. They have great camping gear : )

3 comments:

  1. I cheered when I saw the news about their stand on guns. Best Dick Ever! I will definitely go buy something at the local Dicks, even if it's a pair of socks. In fact, I have shopped there before because, you're right, they do carry good products. I have purchased rubber boots, athletic shoes, fighting gear, sunglasses, and all sorts of fun stuff from Dicks.
    Thank you for calling attention to their sensible and simple new policies. We all need a little good news these days...
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was so glad to hear this, too. Hope more businesses follow suit!

    ReplyDelete