Monday, January 1, 2018

2017



My first year of being fully retired.

It was the year we adopted two rescue kittens.


They are the most affectionate, cuddly kittens I’ve ever lived with. They have brought us many laughs and much joy.





I got to see Cate live on Broadway and her amazing Manifesto installation.





I shared a trip to NYC with Beaner to see her heart throb Jake Gyllenhaal in
Sunday in the Park with George.







I managed to get my entire family to Las Vegas to see Celine Dion and then went on an incredible hiking adventure with Peachie to Sedona and Page, Arizona.













We all went to Yankee Stadium on Mother’s Day to see the retirement ceremony for Derek Jeter.






I cried as I watched my favorite bonus daughter get married, with Beaner standing by her side.

Spent the lazy days of summer rebuilding the camp deck (still not finished) and enjoying sunsets at the lake.





And hammock snoozing






Did a lot of gardening and canning the first fruits of my young orchard.






Peachie invited me to go kayaking on the Charles river in Boston.





Martha and I went to DisneyWorld without kids


and got to be kids ourselves.





 had one of my healthiest years in a while with only one trip to the hospital for a procedure to figure out why I was having esophageal pain. The procedure was unsuccessful but the symptoms subsided as mysteriously as they had appeared.


Mentally I had only a few stumbles into PTSD and quickly recovered. They were just enough of a reminder of where I’ve been, but more importantly, how far I’ve come.


After a year of having a Fitbit constantly tell me to move, hitting the gym 3 times a week, and upping my fruits and veggies, I weigh exacting 1 pound less than I did last year. At this rate it will take me another 7 years to make my goal weight.


As for my family -


My great nephew came through some seriously scary cranial surgery with flying colors. This is him in his new helmet.





My 40 year old niece was diagnosed with breast cancer. She just had a lumpectomy and is facing 6 weeks of radiation. Like mine, it was an aggressive tumor. Like me, early detection probably saved her life.

Beaner landed a new job with a great raise and amazing benefits, including summers off. Come May she will be moving closer to the job and to us.


Peachie and her boyfriend bought a new house, two blocks from the ocean. (I can’t wait to visit) They will keep the 2 family house they live in now as rental property. And she is being courted for a new job that will require more travel but also more money and benefits.


I think they will finally be out of my wallet!!!


With all the crazy happening in the world today (it still amazes me how one man can create so much havoc) my world has been relatively calm, restorative and fun.

My resolutions for 2018 are to further reduce my environmental impact, work harder against crazy politics, up my volunteers hours, and most especially to challenge myself to step outside my comfort zone. 


And to lose at least 1 more pound.




Here's to seeing lots of squirrels in 2018

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a good year. I especially like the dog resolutions.

    Glad that your great nephew and niece are doing well. Sedona looks amazing, must put that on my list.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely going with the playing, eating and sleeping resolutions : )

      Sedona and Antelope Canyon in Page, Arizona - an breathtakingly beautiful place.

      Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  2. Best wishes for a happy, healthy 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, 8, that it was a pleasure to read this post. Thank you for including so much good that happened to/for you and your family. We need that!

    Also, you made me laugh out loud with the weight loss! Lost a pound! Resolution to lose another! Good on ya, lady!

    Big love, my dear, sent your way.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is very important to focus on the good stuff while in the midst of so much chaos. And I have been blessed to have so much good stuff.

      Since this is the year I am going to try to challenge myself, I may try for 2 pounds! Go big or go home : )

      Delete
  4. Good resolutions. I went through brain surgery with my son - it's scary. And as for your changed eating habits, whether or not you lost as many pounds as you'd like, it's still a big improvement for your health, so go you!

    Peace and Joy to you in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I realize that having my benchmark weight during the holidays is probably not a good idea. Healthy habits shall return after all the cookies and candy are gone.

      Peace and joy to you and yours.

      Delete
  5. Hope 2018 is just as fruitful! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This brought tears to my eyes at my desk; loved reading and reminiscing by proxy all the cool things you and your family did this year. That darned lake house porch tho...maybe 2018 will be the year it gets finished! Love and light and so many good wishes for an amazing next turn around the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you KR!!!! We need to catch up soon!

      Happy New Year to you !!!

      Delete
  7. So happy and upbeat. Love the pics.
    Congratulations to you and all your girls for a winning 2017.

    Here's to 2018 and more good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 2018 is going to be amazing. Chicago here we come !!!

      Delete