Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Full of Grace - Code Blue


Code Blue is an emergency shelter serving homeless people in my area for when extreme winter weather hits.  And where I live, it hits often.


Recently a woman who runs an art gallery nearby asked artists to submit a piece of art focusing on the color of blue as a fundraiser for the Code Blue shelter.   There was a two week deadline.  As the newspapers reported “the response was amazing. More than 100 people submitted projects to the gallery.”  


On Saturday I attended the opening at the invitation of one of the artists.   There was no charge, but visitors were encouraged to bring a donation to help homeless persons like thermal clothing, sweatshirts, sweatpants and/or cleaning supplies.  The organizers had set up an 8 ft. table to accept donations and after the first half hour the table was no longer visible and the organizers were scrambling to find space to store all the donations. The coffee can for monetary gifts was overstuffed and someone was searching for something larger to use.  I was unable to stay very long because the galleries were so crowded that claustrophobic me had to get some air.  The response really was overwhelming.


These days we seem to be barraged with truly horrific news, day in and day out.  There are times when I wonder if humanity will survive another generation.  How can people be so cruel one another? It can, and sometimes does, drag me into a deep depression. 

Which I why I am so grateful that there are so many more people who (unfortunately) you rarely hear about, that organize events like these, who give more than they can afford to others, who share their time and their talents to help people they will never meet and who will never be able to thank them.  

These people restore my faith in humanity.
Love is powerful and love is strong.  Love wins.   


I was thrilled to meet a photographer, Jacqueline Donnelly.   This was her submission, one of my favorite places to backpack to and sleep under the stars. I am very grateful there are still protected places like this that restore my soul.



9 comments:

  1. Fantastic project. I am warmed by the outpouring of support. I want tee shirts, placards, banners:
    Love is powerful and love is strong. Love wins.

    Applause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great fund raiser! Can't even imagine what those folks go through on a day to day basis. Glad it was a success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing such a soul restoring story with us. It is the best tonic to the nightly news. I'm glad you were able to go, however briefly, and see the outpouring of love.
    xooxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful project. And it's lovely to see communities come together to help those who are less fortunate.

    That photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were recruiting an army for peace or defense, I would want you on my team xo

    No doubt the number of good and decent people far far exceed the cruel and ill intended. I feel for Brian williams sometimes, having to read the evening news

    I try to do my part too
    Love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful. (If I'd known, I'd have sent a painting!) What a cool project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was there, I immediately thought of you and how one of your bluebirds would have looked great in that space.

      Delete
  7. "Love is powerful and love is strong. Love wins."

    Amen to love and amen to good and helping people.

    ReplyDelete