I am still feeling overwhelmed with gratitude for all the wonderful care I received during my medical emergency. Today I had a follow up CT scan and doctor’s appointment and I am particularly grateful that:
- The scan went smoothly without the extremely painful dye infiltration that happened the first time around.
- That the scan showed that everything is healing nicely. I still have to have surgery in January to remove what remains of the appendix, but at least it will be done in a non-emergency situation after all the infection has been taken care of.
- The drain has been removed. As sexy as this might look, I had trouble sleeping with this stuck in my belly, I would catch the tube on stuff and almost rip out the stitches that held it in place, clothing was impossible as everything rubbed on the insertion area, and well, it was just plain gross to walk around with a bag of blood and pus hanging from me.
- The doctor has given me clearance to go on the vacation with my daughters that was planned for the beginning of January. I was very concerned that I would have to give it up, but the surgeon is willing to work around the dates.
- In the last couple of weeks I have heard many horror stories about ruptured appendixes and long, long hospital stays and how I was so lucky. I am most grateful that my body was healthy enough to overcome this latest onslaught so quickly My body has been through so much trauma and yet it still gets back up and allows me to feel and see and taste and make love and climb mountains and to give love back. I am both humbled and amazed at its resilience and forgiveness.