Thursday, October 16, 2014

Body Pump



“Come to Body Pump with me”,  my oldest daughter said.  “You will enjoy it”, she said.  

A couple of months ago my family joined a new gym.  It is a pretty high performance gym geared to athletes and some serious fitness folks.  There are also a few people like me, just trying to maintain without pushing too hard, but we are the minority.   

“Are there any older people in the class?”, I asked.  “Yes” she said, “quite a few.”

“And it is a great program for your bone density issues”, my youngest daughter added.

So I showed up for Body Pump.  My daughter got me all set up with a bench and pad, and numerous barbells with various weights.    I looked around the class of about 25 people and I was BY FAR the oldest person there.  I said to my daughter “ I thought you said lots of older people take this class.”  She responded, “well, they were here last week.”   Great, I thought, they apparently all died after taking this.  



Class began with doing squats while holding a barbell across your shoulders. Down, up, down, up. Then down and pulse, down and pulse.  I thought I was doing pretty good until after about 600 squats the instructor yelled, “okay, second set”    What?  We have to do more?  Yes, like four sets of those.

Finally the million squats were over and we moved to shoulders.  Now we were holding plates that we raised to shoulder level, hold, then over head, back to shoulders, now rotate.  I was using light weights and was thinking “wow, this is easy, I could do this all day.”   Until after a minute or so of non-stop movement when those light plates began to feel like they were 100 pounds each.  I was sweating profusely.   Finally the instructor yelled, “okay, lunges!”

I looked at my daughter and said “I hate you.”   She just laughed

This went on for an excruciating hour, exercising each major muscle group - squats, presses, lunges, deadlifts. curls, triceps (OMG I thought those muscles were ripping off my bones)  crunches and push-ups.   I think blood was starting to come out of my pores and I was seeing cross-eyed.  After a few cool down stretches we were released from this hell and I went home and sat in a sauna, whimpering and  feeling sorry for myself.

Today I could barely get out of bed.  There is no part of my body that does not ache and for some reason I cannot go down stairs.  I think my quads have withered in fear and my legs are threatening to leave me all together.   I had trouble eating breakfast as I could barely lift the spoon to my mouth. I imagine it will be even worse tomorrow.

My youngest daughter is home on her fall break and asked me to go to a class with her on Saturday called Body Attack.

I don’t think so.    My body has already been attacked.

But I am hoping to return to the Body Pump class (after my body recovers in a year or two)  as I think it is really good for rebuilding my cancer drug bone loss.  

And then I will look like this.




Well, after I have my foobs pumped up more.

15 comments:

  1. haha - seriously, just stick with yoga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yoga classes in this gym suck - all extreme poses with no real instruction or connection to breathing. But yes, I do need to find a better yoga class because I really enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I'm with Kalisis. When I'm finally allowed to do something again, I'm going with yoga.

    This line: Great, I thought, they apparently all died after taking this. made me laugh out loud and now all of Dunkin is looking at me weird. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing is a great abdominal exercise, it fact it is my favorite! I'm happy to put a smile on your face.

      Delete
  3. Who makes up these medieval tortures?

    And who in their right mind does it voluntarily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This from a woman who drags me on 50 mile bike rides and up and down mountains.

      Delete
  4. Too much too fast! Slow the hell down, sister! I used to do CrossFit and you can let those monsters run you ragged or you can do it at your own pace... I recommend doing it but slowly. One set of whatever exercise instead of four sets. Those children you were working out with didn't just get through cancer, chemo and surgery...
    Pace yourself!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would laugh if you saw how often I took breaks. Then the instructor would give me an "it's okay" look that was filled with pity. I do enjoy a physical challenge but I am not being stupid about it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Sounds like you get quite the workout re-doing your house and landscaping your yard. I don't think I could keep up with you!

      Delete
  6. I did something like that about 15 years ago--our local park district--had a similar program. I enjoyed it but it took a long time to be comfortable with (even then) being one of the older folks and absolutely, one of the least fit. Ultimately, life took a turn toward bizzaro land and I had to stop. NO way would I even THINK about such a program now. I do like feeling (and being) strong though. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose after being knocked on my ass a few times, I do have an unnatural need to feel strong. And the exercise really helps with my anxiety issues. But yes, moderation is the key.

      Delete
  7. Way to represent the older crowd :) I give you credit for going and getting through it... We have 3 kids out of five who exercise regularly. Once does cross fit, and one does various "insanity" or similarly named workouts. The other "just" does tennis and swimming. I don't think I could ever keep up with the first two :) I think it is awesome that they are including you and they want to help you. Sadly I think what we consider old and what they do is somewhat different :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharing this with my daughter is a big part of it, I'm sure. And you're right - my kids think 35 is old. In which case I am down right ancient : )

      Delete
  8. I laughed over this because I swear that the EXACT same thing happened to me. Except that I took the "GENTLE" yoga class for handicapped people. Yup. Fail. At least your class was HARD.

    ReplyDelete