If your house was burning, what would you take with you? It’s a conflict between what’s practical, valuable and sentimental. What you would take reflects your interests, background and priorities. Think of it as an interview condensed into one question.
Participants then take a picture of what items they would gather together from their homes and explain the contents with a brief description.
These were the things I grabbed then -
- Two cats and one dog - not pictured
- Three Billie Holiday albums, which were the only things I had that were Daphne’s.
- My great grandmother’s watch
- A fireproof box containing passports and other important papers, although our really important papers are in a safe deposit box.
- my copy of “The Little Prince” , my favorite book, given to me by a very dear friend.
I had also grabbed some photo albums and home videos but I have since duplicated most of them and stored them in a safe location.
Today I would also add these items -
- Daphne’s journal which still feels like a gift from the universe that I can hold something so intimate to her
- My dad’s sweater. He passed away a few years ago and I like to wrap myself up in this when I am feeling a little low.
- A book of Robert Frost poems that my mother gave me when I graduated High School. She wrote a beautiful note on the inside. The book was only recently returned to me and I would be sad to lose it again.
So, what about you - what would you take?