Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Shopping/Therapy

Yesterday I went shopping with Peachie for her junior prom dress. And then went on to therapy. Equally trying experiences. Kidding. Actually both went really well. Peachie found her dress after only two stores in three hours of trying on about 40 dresses. And then we went out to lunch. Really nice to spend some time one on one with her.

I then went into my session feeling happy and strong and stated I was ready do to something - anything - constructive that would move me forward. We talked about what I would like to tackle first. Something not too traumatic. Something on the periphery on my comfort zone. And so I decided I would like to go to a bar. I am not sure if this will expose me to the alcohol on someone’s breathe issue, or just my own social awkwardness. But I do know that, for whatever reason, I always decline invitations for anything that has a bar. And I would like to get past that.

Shrink: When shall we go?

Me: we?

Shrink: Yes. I wouldn’t let you go without some support. Is that okay?

Me: I guess.. Are we going to a gay bar or a straight bar?

Shrink: Which would you prefer?

Me: I don’t know, maybe a gay bar, it would feel safer.

Shrink: You seem unsure . . .

Me: It seems strange to think of you and me at a gay bar.

Shrink: Are you worried about your emotional reaction to alcohol or that more women will try to pick me up than you?

Me: *laughing* Maybe both.



I have not been in a bar in many, many years.

Am I too old for this shit?

What do people to in a bar?

What should I wear?

Is my anxiety showing?

Speaking of clothes, here is the dress the Peachie bought, although it looks much more elegant on Peachie's petite body. I was hoping she would get something in a spring color but she loves black and white. And she particularly loved that the front was cut out so that her shoes would show. She is all about the shoes.

10 comments:

  1. I love your shrink....

    Love the black and white dress too!

    I'll be praying for you to have a good experience on your outing. Let us know how it goes.

    Pax,
    Doxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shrink sounds just right. You found one with a sense of humor! Yay!

    Shopping. Ugh. I guess it's lucky that it only took 3 hours. Still, time spent with your daughter is most definitely not wasted.

    Good luck on the bar. FYI, most people go to a bar to drink and talk... maybe shoot some pool. Or, like us, play shuffleboard badly. I'll be thinking of you and sending you calm energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably don't need to even say this but...I love that you posted a picture of the dress!! Your daughter has great taste, that dress is gorgeous. I would suggest silver strappy shoes. :)

    I think a gay bar is a smart choice. I find them to be much more relaxed than straight bars. Jeans and any shirt you like will work just fine. No worries on attire. Oh and you're quite young (regardless of what you may think), so no worries on age either. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is true, your shrink is hilarious.

    I know you will find this hard to beleive but I dont go to the bar that often, LOL,

    But just in case you really needed answers to your questions ...

    Am I too old for this shit? Absolutely not, we take my friend's mum 'J' and she is in her 80's :)

    What do people to in a bar? Just chat over a drink or two, maybe a little dancing, or pool or darts, depending on your bar

    What should I wear? Whatever helps you feel relaxed

    Is my anxiety showing? I hope it doesn't matter if it does, only you and your 'wingman' will know why you are anxious, besides you can leave when you want to.

    Good for you for being able to say you are ready to take this step, you know we will all be thinking of you :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok... your shrink is awesome!

    I think it's great that she's going with you to the bar. I will be sending good vibes your way as you take another step forward.

    P.S. The dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my shrink too. She is awesome.

    e - I hate shopping too. But considering it took 3 days with my older daughter, 3 hours seemed like heaven.

    greg - she was thinking silver strappy shoes too! I will post a picture when she finds the perfect pair.

    haizey - you have been to more US bars in a week than I have been to my entire life : )

    2moms - I like the dress too but more importantly, I like that it covers all those parts that moms want covered. I couldn't believe some of the stuff out there.

    Thank you all for your advice and well wishes. Friday night. I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be happy to *coincidentality* wander into the bar to pick you up if your ego needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog has been nominated for a Lezzy Award! Blogs can only win one category so please let your readers know which category to nominate you in.

    You currently have nominations in the following categories/category: Personal.

    If you feel this category doesn't suit your blog be sure to review all 11 categories and let your readers know which one to nominate your blog for!

    For more information on this years awards visit: http://thelesbianlifestyle.com/the-lezzies/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks. Love your blog.

    Jen
    www.WeAreGoodkin.com

    ReplyDelete